Clervaux is a medieval market town, set in a narrow valley and surrounded by wood covered hills. The imposing castle which dates back to the 12th century is the main attraction of the town. It is the age-old witness to the prestige and power of the knights and counts whose estates stretched far across country from St. Ingbert to Vianden and Prm.
A venerable witness to a prestigious past, Clervaux castle now houses the offices of the local government, the reception of the Syndicat d’Initiative (local Tourist Office), a collection of models of Luxembourg’s old fortified castles, a small war museum exhibiting weapons and souvenirs from the 1944-1945 Ardennes offensive (Battle of the Bulge), and the remarkable collection of documentary art photography, the Family of Man by Edward Steichen.
Near the Benedictine Abbey, a historic monument in the form of a cross can be admired. It is a 12.5 metre high stone construction which was erected in 1899 to commemorate the heroic fighters at the time of the French invasion from 1795 to 1798. Two bronze bas-reliefs show scenes from the Oesling peasant’s revolt against the French troops. Below a simple phrase, but one which is filled with pride and heroism, reads: We don’t know how to lie