From the Directory of Somersetshire 1875 Brent (East) is a village and parish in the Axbridge union, containing, by the census of 1861: 797 and in 1871: 772 inhabitants, and 3037 acres; in the deanery of Axbridge, Archdeaconry of Wells diocese of Bath and Wells, hundred of Brent-cum-Wrington, mid Somerset; 4 miles north from Highbridge Station on the Bristol and Exeter Railway, 7 south-east from; Weston-super-Mare, and 150 from London The Manor was originally given by Ina, King of the West Saxons, to Glastonbury Abbey and held by them until the dissolution. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Ven. George Anthony Denison M. A. archdeacon of Taunton and Prebendary of Wells, had the tithes commuted at 690 per annum with residence and 80 acres of the land and is in the dedicated to the Virgin Mary, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisle, porch and tower containing five bells and surmounted by a spire. In the church are two cedilla and the whole of the windows are of stained glass two in the north aisle and the remainder modern. The altar is very highly embellished. The pulpit and seats are of oak, with some curious specimens of carved ends. The Church 514 feet long and 50 feet wide; the height of the tower 80 feet and the spire 60 feet. On the exterior of the tower are three niches; the upper one contains an effigy King Ina, with sceptre and mound, embracing a monk; the middle niche, Queen Frithegrand and in the lowest, her husband, King Ethelard, who succeeded Ina on his retirement from Rome.