Elvas is a Portuguese municipality, an episcopal city and frontier fortress of Portugal, located in the district of Portalegre in Alentejo.Elvas lies on a hill 8 km northwest of the river Guadiana. It is defended by seven bastions and the two forts of Santa Luzia and Nossa Senhora da Graca. Its late Gothic cathedral, which has also many traces of Moorish influence in its architecture.
==== ELVAS – ATTRACTION
The fortress of Campo Maior, 15 km to the northeast, is famous for its siege by the French and relief by the British under Marshal Beresford in 1811, an exploit commemorated in a ballad by Sir Walter Scott.
Arab arches are to be seen at several places in the old streets and contribute to some fine views.