The Falkland Sound is a sea strait in the Falkland Islands. Running south west – north east, it separates West and East Falkland.
The sound was named by John Strong in 1690 for Viscount Falkland, the name only later being applied to the archipelago and its two largest islands. The Spanish name Estrecho de San Carlos refers to the ship San Carlos which visited in 1768; confusingly the English name San Carlos Water is a much smaller inlet on East Falkland – and gives its name to San Carlos, Port San Carlos and the San Carlos River.
Islands in the Falkland Sound include Narrows Island, Great Island, the Tyssen Islands and the Swan Islands. The Arch Islands and Eddystone Rock are at the south and north ends of the Sound respectively.