Located on the north shore of Lake Constance Friedrichshafen has a relaxed summer-resort atmosphere. From 1900 until World War II, the southern German town of Friedrichshafen on Lake Constance was known as Zeppelin City. During that time, Friedrichshafen served as the manufacturing center for the giant airships bearing their inventor’s name. Beginning in the 1970s, Friedrichshafen sought to shore up its Zeppelin identity as a source of civic pride and potential tourism. An obvious move in this direction was the establishment of a museum; A Zeppelin museum traces the development of those great air machines from first launching (on Lake Constance in 1900) to the Hindenburg disaster.