Guadalajara

Guadalajara is located at about 80 km North-East from Madrid and is connected by rapid trains every 30 min. It was founded by the Iberians and later conquered by the Arabs. It was reconquered in 1085 by Alvar Fanies de Manaya. The most characteristic building is the Palacio de los Duques del Infanto, build in 1461 by Juan Guias. It is a splendid architectural example, with Renaissance and Mudejar details. Also outstanding is the Palacio de los Mendoza(1407), with two Plateresque doorways and a Renaissance courtyard. Among the noteworthy religious buildings are:Santa Maria de la Fuente, which was build using the remains of a mosque, the church of Santiago, the convent of Santa Clara (XIV Century), the church of San Francisco (XV Century), the Renaissance-style church of San Gines, etc.

Leave a Comment