The town of rivers, or Arrabon, as the Romans called it, is a nearly 1000-year-old bishopric where Napoleon won a battle in 1809. Gyor is famous for its schools and industry. It has a nice downtown and it is liked because of its baroque buildings.
The ancient heart of the town is at the junction of three rivers – the Danube, Raba and Rabca – at Kaptalan Hill. Puspokvar (Kaptalan Domb 5/a.), the residence of the bishops of Gyor, can be easily recognised by the Csonka Tower. Its oldest buildings are ‘Lakotorony’, built in the 13th century, and the Gothic ‘Doczy Chapel’, built in the 15th century.
The Roman Era predecessor of the Bishop’s Cathedral already stood at the site in 1030. The Gothic Saint Laszlo Chapel (Hedervary Chapel), added 400 years later, was built for the canonisation of King Laszlo I (1077-95). This chapel contains the masterpiece of Medieval Hungarian goldsmith’s work, the Saint Laszlo Herma, a gilded silver masterpiece.
One of the most prominent sculptors of the 20th century is Miklos Borsos (1906-93), his creations can be seen in the Museum named after him (Bishop Apor Vilmos Square 2). In the Casemate-Stone Collection (Becsi kapu Square 5) we can see cenotaphs from the Roman and Modern ages in this typically classicist building. In the attic of A. Kreszta House (Rozsa Ferenc Street 1.), we can see charming figures of Margit Kovacs (1902-77) in the Ceramics Exhibition.
The symbol of the town, the Iron Cock, created to demonstrate that the Turkish army had taken the fortified castle in 1594 (the castle was later destroyed by Napoleon ), is a depiction of the ornamented well in Duna-kapu Square. The famous monuments of Szechenyi Square are the setting for the performance of the Baroque Marriage, a re-creation of an old-fashioned, baroque Hungarian wedding ceremony which is part of the Summer in Gyor Festival.
The Town Museum collection (Rakoczi Street 6) exhibits Greek and Roman ornaments, furniture in Renaissance and baroque style, sculpture, paintings and Chinese porcelain. In addition, there are contemporary graphics, the sculptures of Miklos Borsos and the ceramics of Margit Kovacs.
The Town Gallery can be found in the Esterhazy Palace (Kiraly Street 17). It has a rich collection of works by 20th century painters.