US Fish and Wildlife sign on Jarvis Island Jarvis was visited by scientists during the International Geophysical Year from July 1957 to November 1958 at which time the island was abandoned yet again.Any scattered building ruins from both the 19th century guano diggings and the 1935-1942 colonization attempt were swept away without a trace by a severe storm in January 1958.
Since 27 June 1974 Jarvis Island has been administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as the Jarvis Island National Wildlife Refuge (one of the United States Pacific Island Wildlife Refuges). A feral cat population (descendants of cats brought by the early guano miners) which had been noted on the island for at least a century and caused much disruption to the local ecology was removed by the early 1980s. 19th century tram track remains can reportedly still be seen in the middle area of the island. Public entry to Jarvis Island requires a special-use permit and is generally restricted to scientists and educators. The island is visited from time to time by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the United States Coast Guard.