The Town of Jibla , which is situated 8 km southwest of the City of Ibb and at an elevation of 2,400 meters above sea level, is a well known tourist town. In the past, it used to be called the City of Nahrain (or of the Two Rivers, because it lies between two rivers. The Sulaihi King Abdullah Ibn Ali Al-Sulaihi expanded it in the Year 458 AH and he gave it its present name and made it the capital of the Sulaihi Kingdom , which was successfully able to unite all of Yemen under one state. The Town of Jiblah saw its prosperity during the reign of Queen Arwa Bint Ahmed Bin Mohammed Al-Sulaihi (1067 1138 AD), who is the second queen to rule Yemen after Queen Bilquis, who was reputably known as the Queen of Sheba, who ruled Yemen in biblical times (King Solomon’s time). Queen Arwa was highly intellectual, cultured and wise in the running of the affairs of her state, and was also very much loved by her subjects. She left a lot of remains and important cultural achievements in several regions, including the construction of the Jibla Mosque and paving the city streets with stones and qadhadh, the local traditional cement material. The city includes the Palace of Dar Al- ‘Izz (the House of Greatness or Nobility), which is situated in the area called Hafat Al-Dar or the (Rim of the House).
The architectural style of the city is similar to that of the Old City of Ibb, and Jibla is surrounded by natural landscape beauty. It appears from a distance to be like a pyramid, inside of which are inlaid the homes and mosque minarets, all of which are surrounded by the mountain farm terraces and hills that are clad in a beautiful green covering throughout the year.
The town became famous as a scholastic and intellectual center for many centuries. One of the famous schools of Jibla is still functioning as one of the auxiliaries of the Queen Arwa Mosque. The mosque also contains the Tomb of Queen Arwa.