Built by the British in 1939 for the defence of Singapore, the Johore Battery is a gun emplacement site consisting of a labyrinth of tunnels. The tunnels were used to store ammunition to support three monster guns that could fire 15-inch shells.
The guns were the largest installed outside Britain during World War II. They were destroyed before the surrender of the British army and the tunnels were sealed up after the war. The location remained a secret until the Singapore Prisons Department rediscovered them in April 1991.
Today, replicas of the monster gun and 15-inch shell sit at the Johore Battery.
9.00 am – 5.00 pm (Daily)
Approximate Touring Time
Cosford Road, off Upper Changi Road North.
(65) 6546 9897
Take SBS Transit Bus 2 from Tanah Merah MRT Station (EW4) and alight at the bus stop opposite Selarang Camp. Alternatively, take a taxi.