Kariba Dam was constructed between 1955 and 1959, forming what was for many years the largest man -made lake in the world. It has become a famous resort for boating, fishing and game viewing. Many of the animals rescued during Operation Noah were released in the Matusadona National Park.
Herds of up to 1,000 buffalo and many other wild animals come to this shoreline in the dry weather. Game viewing can be done by boat, canoe, vehicle or foot. The birdlife, especially aquatic, is excellent. Altitude at harbors 490m, at heights 800m. It can get very hot and humid at Kariba.
Best time to visit
Mid-May June and July are the coolest month but it should be remembered that the Zambezi Valley is always hot. The end of November through to February is generally rainy and October is traditionally the hottest month.
How to get there
Scheduled and charter services operate to Kariba from Harare, Hwange and Victoria Falls. In addition there are light aircraft airstrips at Bumi, Fothergill, Chizarira, Tashinga and Binga.
By Coach / Local buses
Luxury Coaches operate services direct from Harare to Kariba.Also available are local buses on an hourly bases. Some tour operators and car hire companies offer their services on this route.
From Harare a 365km drive.
Local buses operate two or three times a day between Harare and Kariba
What to do
* Visit the dam wall, visit the Observation Point for a beautiful view of the dam wall, the Zambezi River and Zambia, visit ST. BARBARA’S CHURCH
* Visit the Operation Noah Memorial at Kariba Heights and see the wonderful view over the Lake towards Matusadona and the Islands
* Fishing, Cruisers, Tiger fishing competition-held every first week of October
* Canoeing, Boat rides, Hire a Houseboat for a couple of days and get out on the lake and see the game
* Visit the Lake Crocodile Farm and see their Curio Shop, have dinner out at one of the lovely lakeshore Hotels, Book a stay in one of the safari camps
* Book a Bush Walk or a Canoe Safari with a professional guide
* Take your children free fishing at the Bream Farm Chawara Harbor, go on a Town and Dam Tour
* If you do not have your own transport use one of the operators in your hotel
* Visit the Casino, Game drives are available in and around Kariba
* Visit Matusadona and Mana Pools National Parks