Ledbury is a thriving market town in rural England. It is east of Hereford, on the southern slope of the Malvern Hills.It has a main-line rail connection to London. The town has a large number of timber framed buildings, in particular along Church Lane. Notable buildings in the area include the parish church, the Painted Room (containing sixteenth century frescoes), and Eastnor Castle.
Ledbury won the 2003 Britain in Bloom competition, in the category of ‘Small Town’.
The Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal, which was opened from Gloucester as far as Ledbury in 1798, passed through the lower part of the town with wharves at Bye Street and at what is now the Ross Road near the Full Pitcher public house. After closing in 1885, the canal route was used by the Great Western Railway for the Ledbury to Gloucester branch line. When that closed, as a result of the Beeching cuts, it became disused until it was converted to a nature trail.
One of Ledbury’s most outstanding buildings is the Market House, located in central town.
The main roads through the town are the A449 and the A417, and the M50 motorway runs to the south.
Ledbury is a venue for numerous annual festivals (particularly the Ledbury Poetry Festival) and The Big Chill music event at Eastnor Castle, which brings thousands of young people to the town each year.
The Ledbury hunts (Ledbury, which dates from 1846, and North Ledbury, established in 1905) are well-supported. Ledbury is also home to the Silurian Border Morris men. There are a number of singing groups in the town, including Ledbury Choral Society and Ledbury Community Choir, the latter with over 60 singers.
The Seven Allstars play their home games at the Ross Road playing fields and are considered to be the best Sunday league football team in Herefordshire.