CHIRUNDU FOSSIL FOREST
Just off the main Lusaka Chirundu road, not far from Chirundu are fossil trees belonging to the Karoo period and are about 50 000 years old.
At the Roan Antelope Copper Mine in Luanshya set amid the original outcrop where in June, 1902, the prospecter William Collier shot an antelope and first dicovered copper at what is now the Roan Antelope Mine.
DAG HAMMERSKJOLD MEMORIAL
This marks the spot, now in the Ndola West Forest Reserve where the aircraft carrying Dag Hammerskjold, author and former Secretary General of the United Nations, crashed on the 18th September 1961. To commemorate his death, a small cairn has been built in the centre of a simple memorial garden and a site museum has been opened to the public.
West of Monze, this fort was one of the earliest colonial police posts established in the country just before the turn of the century. There is a cemetary of the graves of those policemen who manned the fort.
KASAMBA STREAM GRINDING GROOVES
On the western shore of Lake Bangweulu, just south of Samfya, is an outcrop of rock which bears a large number of artificial grinding grooves dating back possibly to the Iron Age. It is thought they were used for grinding and polishing axes.
KUNDABWIKA ROCK PAINTING
A large rock bearing an elaborate schematic painting in red, lies 96 kms from Mporokoso in the Northern Province
LUNSEMFA WONDER GORGE
At the junction of the Lunsemfwa and Mkushi Rivers, is a site of great beauty where both rivers have cut narrow gorges over 300m into the Karoo sedementary rocks and presents one of the finest and most spectacular views to be found in Zambia.
MKOMO ROCK SHELTER
To the north of the Great East Road, sixty four kilometers west of Chipata. Rock paintings dating back to the Iron Age
MUMWE STREAM ROCK
These engravings in the Mwense district are thought to be of great historical importance.
This cave in Mpika depicts some of the most interesting rock paintings in the country and is the site of a field museum exhibiting a fascinating sequence from the Stone Age in Northern Zambia some 18 000 years ago to the recent Iron Age.
On the shore of Lake Tanganyika about kilometer and a half to the east of Mpulungu, this church was built by the London Missionary Society in 1895 and is the oldest surviving stone built church in Zambia.
NKALA FORTIFIED CAMP
Just outside the borders of the Kafue National Park at the top of Kapilika Nakalomwe Hill, built as a police camp in 1901. The plan of the fort can still be seen from the ruined walls
NSEFU CAVE AND ROCK PAINTING
These painting near Kanona can be seen clearly from outside the fence and anyone wishing to enter the cave may do so on payment of a small fee to the caretaker. The main cave contains evidence of occupation during the Stone Age and the paintings are the most extensive to be seen at any single site in Zambia.
NSALU CAVE & ROCK PAINTING
This semi-circular cave, cut into Nsalu hills contains some of the best examples of Africas schematic rock paintings. It stretches about 20 metres wide, 20 metres deep and eight metres high. Excavations carried out in the 1940s showed the site was first occupied by middle Stone Age people although the majority of remains discovered relate to the hunting people of the late Stone Age and date back from about 12000 years ago to 1000 AD. The significance of the schematic drawings at Nsalu remains a mystery. Some archaeologists believe they were connected with initiation ceremonies but research into the subject continues. Its a short detour off the GNR. 30 kms north of Kanona turn left, travel a further fourteen kilometres, turn right. This road leads to the caves in rugged hilly country.
VON LETTOW VORBECK MEMORIAL
At the North end of the Chambeshi River bridge on the main road from Mpika to Kasama, marks the spot on which General Von Lettow Vorbeck, Commander of the German forces in East Africa during the 1914 war, surrendered. Incorporated in the monument is an 1890 breach loading field gun of the type used by the German army in this campaign.