The oldest Catholic church in Singapore, the Cathedral is also the revered home of the present Archbishop. But when the church’s foundation stone was initially laid in 1843, few people expected that it would give rise to an architectural design showdown between colonial architect-greats, D.L. Sweeney and J.T. Thomson. Thomson’s design was eventually chosen even though it was considered more expensive than Sweeney’s. Charles Dyce, a third architect, added the tower and spire to the design a year later. The Cathedral was gazetted as a national monument on 28 June 1973.
Visitors are advised to dress conservatively as this is a place of worship.
Queen Street Singapore 188533
(65) 6337 2036
Take the MRT to City Hall MRT Station (EW13/NS25) and walk along Bras Basah Road.