The building f the museum was built in 1904 by Mr. Tsogtbadamjav, Buryat merchant as his own property.
During July, August 1921 the building was used as an office of the Central Committee of Mongolian People’s Party Government, Headgquarters of the army and Commander D. Sukhbaatar. The Embassy soviet Tuva was located in the building after which it was converted into the museum of D.Sukhbaatar.
In 1953 its exhibits were transferred to the museum of the Sukhbaatar and Kh. Choibalsan which was established on the basis of the palace of Kh. Choibalsan, party and political leader. In 1956 the museum was named as the Museum of the history of Ulaanbaatar with the purpose of telling the city habitants and its guests about the history and development of the capital. The museum was opened on 9 July 1956.
The Museum of the history of the city was expanded as the, Museum of history and reconstruction by the resolution number 106 of 11 April 1960 of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Mongolian People’s Revolutionary Party.
Due to its historical and cultural value, the building was raken under the 2nd level protection by the Council of Ministers Resolution number 420 of 28 December 1971 and was registered by the Executive Committee of the People’s Khural Deputies of Ulaanbaatar.
The museum tells the history since 1639 when G. Zanabazar was elected as the head of Yellow Religion in Burd soum of Uvurkhangai aimag and palace of shar bus Ulaanbaatar’s foundation was built and 1778 when it was moved to the banks of Selbe river from Khui mandal.
The Ulaanbaatar city history and reconstuction museum opens its dors to the citizens of the capital and its guests as all other city history museums of the world.
Bayanzurkh distrct, east side of Palace of Wrestling.